Wednesday, May 25, 2016

The New Gunnels are mounted.






There were multiple boards on the side for support that had to be removed along with a hundred SS sheet metal screws and caulking of some sort.  Luckily the caulking came off with WD-40, some scraping, and elbow grease.  


I was worried the Ash boards would not conform to the shape of the hull.  When I got enough clamps to hold both the inside and outside boards together, they would bend to the shape pretty well. 


The next operation was epoxying the boards togehter (and to the hull), then holding them with brass wood screws.  

As of 5/25/16 I have both the inner and outer boards glued and screwed on the outside.  I still need to get in the boat to put the set of screws in from the inside.  

I will start on the masthead and tail piece (whatever it is called).  These fixtures are not on decorative, but structural and will hold the ends together.  


No comments:

Post a Comment