Tuesday, September 13, 2016

Working on the Oars... 09/13/16


Maybe they were a little more rough shape than I thought before we sanded them. LOL. 

 



This is the oar that was broken into 3 pieces. It's epoxied back together. I think one more layup of epoxy on both sides of the blade and sanding will make it ready for the layer of fiberglass.




Note the piece on the end of the oar. That piece on the other 3 oars was knocked off during usage as is shown to the right. That oar was marked because we had the piece that needed to be re-attached. 








I used some of the trim pieces from the Ash to make new ends for the other two oars. Here is one of them epoxied up. 

This one was more complex because an end was missing from the tip of the oar. 


I will fill in the gaps with some epoxy with colloidal silica in it.

















This oar was in the best shape of all. 





























I've got a couple of more epoxy layups to go before they can be sanded and wrapped with fiberglass. 

I have some Kevlar I will cut and try to fit onto the ends, after they are shaped.  

The Kevlar can't be sanded, so it will need an extra layer of fiberglass over it, so I can fair it.  But that will make the oars ends very, very tough! 







No comments:

Post a Comment