Tuesday, September 28, 2021

More work on the Water Ballast Holes

I have been patching the holes up. First, I took a grinder and ground the area around the holes, so I could layer in fiberglass.

Next, I superglued in some fiberglass out of a 737 cabin that protects the hull from things inside the cabin. It is fine Boeing fiberglass a 1/32" thick. I put in the superglue and held the fiberglass disks down to form a smooth joint with the hull.
Then I started layering up finish fiberglass. I added a later of 8 oz cloth in for some bulk and strength and continued with some more finish cloth.
I have 5 layers of finish cloth, a layer of 8 oz cloth and the Boeing disk. This is thicker than the original hull. I will put another layer in 3 of the holes. Finally, I will fare the repairs smooth with West Systems epoxy and micro balloon faring additive.



One picture is of a gouge. I will fill all the gouges with micro ballons and then sand/fare the entire hull.
Hopefully I will be done with all the fiberglass tomorrow, so I can start sanding and faring the hull. LOL, being the lazy old man I am, this boat will have the minimum surface friction!
I have blue Awl Grip aircraft paint to make the bottom beautiful and slick as gorilla snot. Yes, I know Awl Grip is not for use underwater... But, I hope it will never be in the water for more than a couple of weeks at a time during some adventure. If I ruin it, I will have to grind the Awl Grip off. It is impossible to sand after it dries. LOL
I would really like to paint it this week while the weather is warm and dry enough.
Can I tell you how happy I am to be well enough to accomplish some things?
After I get it painted, I will turn it right side up and redo the gunnels. I tried to put in 1" lumber of the gunnels and that just didn't work out well. I am now ripping the 1" lumber in half to make the pieces much more flexible. I will only use a 1/4" in the middle over the hull, so the gunnels will extend further down than before. The main wood is Ash and I will go to the lumber store to pick out a dark wood for some contrast.

No comments:

Post a Comment